I Saw it

I Saw it

I saw it is a short comic book that Nakazawa Keiji made, and it describes his own experience of the atomic bomb in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

I am not sure why I am not surprised with the whole imagery of what happened to human's body when an atomic bomb explosion. Maybe it's because the drawings are not pictures, so they don't seem really grotesque, or maybe because I can't imagine the scene at all. It was 1945 when atomic bomb was dropped into Japan and it is really not an ancient time. It is more likely to a recent event according to the whole Japan history and that means, the character's life inside the comics are not dramatically different from our old days.

This is a very shocking fact. Because we do listen to our elders, grandparents, and parents about their childhood. And it is the exact time when our grandparents live. So we could simply imagine how would their life was. And then the bomb hit the place. People body have burned alive, skin is melting down. Neighborhood women now have pointy skin because she has broken glass all over her body. How horrible is this?

Nakazawa Keiji did a great job making the imagery work. We could see how he was living a peaceful life, then it becomes ruined. The manga describes how they lived and suffer and overcomes so well, so I was almost stuck in part of the suffering and couldn't understand how could it happen. How could he overcome that traumatic experience? It is really brave and I feel sorry for his family's death.

I knew this was his story before I started reading this book. But still, while I am reading it as a reader, I can't keep my thought straight that they were a real person, not a character. While reading them I found myself keep wanting his mother to be cured and become happy. But in reality, she did not make it. That really makes me sad.

I think everyone should read those kinds of Artworks. Every work describing their traumatic experiences, such as I Saw it from Nakazawa Keiji and MAUS from Art Spiegelman. We really should have a caution on this.

댓글

이 블로그의 인기 게시물

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind

Questions